Recipes

Friday, April 2, 2010

Spring has sprung, and the BBQing has begun!


Ah yes, Spring.  It seems as though (and I say this while knocking on this wooden looking surface my keyboard sits atop) it has finally reached us here in MI.  And the last couple of days, with a vengeance with temps in the low 80s.  If you live in MI you know that you can never really count on Spring being here until Summer arrives :)  Seriously, we've been known to have full blown ice storms in the middle of April (remember the ice storm of 2002??  Anyone?).  So we Michiganders really take advantage of the warm weather when we can get it.  And taking full advantage means opening our grills and starting to BBQ.

The best part about barbecuing is that you can still make your meals healthy.  Since any fat drippings go right through the grates, you don't have to worry about your food sitting in it and soaking it up.  For me personally, if I don't have to turn my oven on all Spring/Summer long, I will find a way to cook all my meals outdoors.  Who wants to be stuck in front of a hot stove on a hot day?  Not me!

One time you will find me at my stove is when I'm making potato salad.  And even when I'm doing that, I typically will make it the night before I want to serve it so it's still not that bad being by the stove.  Potato salad comes in many forms - german, mayo, mustard.  My potato salad is a combo of mayo and mustard and is often a staple at a barbecue when I offer to bring a side dish.  It's minimal ingredients really makes the flavors pop and if you make it the night before and let all the flavors join, it's even better!

Whether it's burgers and dogs, or chicken and steak, potato salad goes with it all!  And the recipe of mine below is tried and true!  Served with the hamburger bean dish I wrote about recently in my Examiner article, it's the perfect barbecue companion!  It's the one dish every Spring/Summer season I don't have leftovers and get asked often to bring!  I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Ingredients
4-6 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 small red onion, diced
1 celery stalk, diced
2 hard boiled eggs, chopped (this is optional if you don't like eggs or have someone with an allergy)
2 c mayo (don't use a sandwich spread like Miracle Whip, it totally changes the taste!)
2/3 c yellow mustard
2 tsp celery salt
1 tsp black pepper
2 Tbsp sweet relish
Paprika to garnish

Boil your potatoes and cook until they are firm but cooked, not falling apart as you'll have to mix them without turning them into mashed potato salad.  **Hint:  using yukon gold potatoes is a no-no, they will fall apart, Idaho are a good bet.  Rinse with cold water and set aside in collander to drain and cool.  If your potatoes still have too much warmth when you put the dressing on them, they will soak it up and you'll be left with a drier potato salad.

In another bowl mix your mayo, mustard, celery salt, pepper and relish together until well blended.  Set aside until potatoes are cooled.

Add your chopped onions, celery and eggs to the potatoes and then a little at a time add your mustard dressing.  Some people perfer their potato salad dry, while some prefer it more wet.  When doing this the night before, it's important to remember that your potatoes will soak some of the dressing up and leave your salad drier which you may want to reserve any left over dressing to add to it fresh the next day.  Mix your salad well, sprinkle paprika over the top lightly, cover and put into fridge overnight or at least 2 hours before serving.  I also sometimes will take an extra hard boiled egg and slice it and place on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment