Recipes

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Herb Gardening ... time for the truth

I have to say, any time in previous years that I've gone and done my own herbs indoors I've had loads of success.  This year, I'm finding it to be a bit more difficult.  I'm not entirely sure why either which is all the more frustrating.  I'm all about trial and error and learning from my mistakes, blah, blah, blah.. but truthfully what is bothering me the most is that the herbs I desire the most to be coming up, are the ones that are failing miserably.  Like my cilantro.  Or my rosemary.  Or my thyme.  Sigh. 

The positive side of it is that my sweet basil, garlic chives and even my parsley are doing quite well.  I've even taken a cutting from my Italian basil plant and grown roots and successfully replanted it recently.  Which is fortunate for me and hubby because I like to use those large basil leaves with slices of tomatoes and fresh mozzerella and a dash of balsamic vinegar and sea salt and make a delicious, light appetizer that the kids (haha... their loss!) won't even think about eating. 

I'm also happy to report that I have my sun gold and sun cherry tomatoes have started flowering and even started producing small green cherry tomatoes.  And my heirloom and brandywine tomatoes are building strong. 

So why?  Why won't three of my most often used herbs come up for me?  I used good seeds.  I used organic garden blend soil.  I used the proper fertilization.  I water properly.  They have all the sun they need.  And did I happen to mention that they are all on the same windowsill my other, more successful, herbs are located?  Hmmm..

Well, as much as I wanted them to be the fruits of my own labor and as much as I wanted to start them from the seed and use them for many months to come in my meals with pride, I'm just going to have to take my ball and go home with these three plants.  No choice in the matter really.  And now that I've vented a little bit about it, I guess I'm okay with it.  After all, you know what this means, don't you?  It means a trip to the Farmer's Market tomorrow, that's what it means! 

No comments:

Post a Comment