Recipes

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

BBQ Pulled Pork in the Slow Cooker



I had a friend joke the other day about how I was going to continue my cooking now that I was starting a new job.  With my kids' school schedules, their sport schedules and now my own work schedule to contend with, how was I possibly going to keep up on my regular routine of cooking?  Well, miss you-know-who-you-are, the simply answer - preparing ahead and for today, using my slow cooker while I'm at work.

I love using my slow cooker for so many dishes, but nothing makes it more worthwhile than to be able to have a meal cooking while I'm not home.  When I walk in the door, all I need to do is prepare my side dishes, pull my pork and I'm done.  So here, friends, is a delicious recipe for those who don't have the time to stand over something all day long!

Ingredients
5 lb boneless pork shoulder roast (I use a loin from time to time as well)
2 red onions, sliced
2 green onions, sliced into rings
3/4 c BBQ sauce (I like to use a honey bbq)
1/4 c chicken broth

For the spice rub:
2 Tbsp sea salt
2 Tbsp brown sugar (I use a little more if I'm not using a honey bbq sauce)
2 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp black pepper
2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

Combine all your spice rub ingredients and rub generously on the roast or loin until completely coated.  Place the pork into the crock pot AFTER you've added your onions, green peppers, bbq sauce and stock and mixed.  Place it on top of the mixture.  Cover and cook in slow cooker on the lowest heat setting short of WARM (mine has 5 different settings and I use the 10 hour low cook setting).  After about 7-8 hours pull pork from slow cooker and pull apart with a couple of forks.  Return pork to liquid in crock pot and stir well.  If you like you can add about another 1/2 cup of bbq sauce as well at this point and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment