Recipes

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Willkommen in Deutschland: German Potato Salad

Yesterday I got it in my head that I MUST have german food for dinner.  For years I've tried re-creating my grandmother's (that's Oma to you!) german potato salad recipe and for years I've failed.  She's given my sisters and I the recipe many times over the years, but it still never comes out just like she made it.  So I've gone from recipe to recipe, trying to find that perfect balance of tart with a hint of sweet. 

So having a craving for german potato salad and schnitzel for dinner, I hit the grocery store on the way home to get what I didn't have.  That's always the first mistake.. especially when I don't have a recipe down pat like I want it to be.  As I'm perusing the produce, my hands hovering over the yukon gold potatoes, I look to the right and there are red potatoes.  I love red potatoes.  The skin isn't too thick, they're a creamy potato and do so well in a mustand/mayo potato salad I thought for a second, "self, you could switch it up a little bit and use those".. then answered, "self, what a great idea!" and grabbed the red potatoes.

Happy with my decision I hurried home, cleaned, pierced and threw those red puppies in their salted water.  As I'm doing other prep work I start thinking, what is it I'm missing.. I have to try something different this time.  Tired of the oh-it's-so-close's, I start making the dressing, hopeful that this time I will succeed where others (myself included) have failed.. again, that perfect balance of tart with a hint of sweet.

Wait for it.. Wait for it..  Success!!!  That's right folks, I know it seems silly to be so excited over german potato salad, but you have no idea how long I've been trying to figure it out!  And today, I'm going to share with you my own recipe for deliciousness! 

First, remember when I said I was using red potatoes?  Well, go for it, it puts a nice twist on a comfort classic.  If you're hard-core stuck on using another salad potato, by all means go for it, but I beg of you, try it just once my way and see if it doesn't make all the difference in the world!


Doreen's German Potato Salad

German Potato Salad
Copyright 2011 Doreens Delectable Edibles.  All Right Reserved.

8-10 red potatoes, washed, pierced
4-5 slices thick cut bacon (don't chince and use the thin stuff!)
4-5 green onions (if you're like me, the more green onions, the better), chopped
2/3 c + 2 Tbsp water
1/2 c white vinegar (distilled, not wine)
2 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp celery seed

Set your potatoes to boil.  Once they're boiling, let them cook about 15-18 minutes or until you can pierce them and they're firm but cooked.  While your potatoes are boiling, in a separate pan cook the bacon (I cut mine up to cook faster before it ever hits the hot pan) until brown and crispy (not burnt!) then take bacon from pan and reserve drippings.  Using the bacon pan add your water, vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper, celery seed and flour and cook on a medium heat, whisking constantly.  Once flour is whisked in add the reserved bacon grease and continue to whisk.  Heat for a good 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently until you get the desired consistency.  Don't rush this step otherwise you'll have that horrible lingering flour taste if it's not cooked long enough.  While your dressing is finishing, cut the potatoes leaving their skin ON!  This is where the recipe veers some, but trust me, it's delicious!  Add your green onion and bacon to the potatoes then stir in your dressing a little at a time.  I take mine from the pan and put it in a gravy boat to add a little at a time until I get the dressing where I want it to be.  Serve hot, warm or cold!

No comments:

Post a Comment